Saturday, October 8, 2011

Maintaining these boundaries

Maintaining these boundaries was not easy. Unlike in other books, books in which the participants are removed far from the process of writing, the protagonist's picture this time was painted without any poetic license. I knew the story must be published in every detail. All the dialogue is true. They also filmed movies based on his book.

Over the last year I paid many visits to Shoshanna's Estate and talked with Meir. From the balcony of the house I looked out over the mountains and valleys and appreciated the immensity and beauty of the open spaces. Though hidden then, later as I listened to the stories of Meir, their romance seized me as I sat in my room and began to tell the tale. I kept asking myself where it comes from - this impulse to break boundaries and conventions, walk little-trod paths, climb to the mountain eyries, to be the first and last visitor to those precious places no one sees.

No comments:

Post a Comment