Monday, August 16, 2010

If I forget you, Jerusalem...

The biblical city of Jerusalem was the center of the Jewish longing since the Diaspora. The spirit permeating the soldiers of Unit 101 and the people who lived in the newly reborn nation of Israel at that time are reminscent of the ancient psalm:

Beside the streams of Babylon, we sat and wept at the memory of Zion,
Leaving our harps hanging on the poplars there.
For we had been asked to sing to our captors, and to entertain those who had carried us off:
"Sing," they said, "one of Zion's hymns."
How could we sing one of the LORD's hymns in a pagan country?
If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand wither.
May I never speak again, if I forget you;
If I do not count Jerusalem the greatest of my joys.
Remember, LORD, the sons of Edom on the day of Jerusalem,
How they said, "Down with her! Raze her to the ground!"
Destructive daughter of Babylon,
A blessing on the man who treats you as you have treated us,
A blessing on him who takes and dashes your babies against the rock.

- Psalm 137

No comments:

Post a Comment